A boat is great! The freedom of the waterway is magical. The smell of salt in the air, sunshine on your face, dolphins gliding through the water provides an experience like no other. It’s hard to imagine a great day going wrong. Here are a few safety tips and a boater checklist to help ensure a great day!
- Insurance ID Card : Make sure you have your ID Card on the boat. Review your watercraft coverage to understand what is covered within your policy.
- Lifejackets: Not only it is a law to have a jacket for everyone on board, a lifejacket is a primary safety device.
- Know exactly what weather to expect: A sunny day can quickly transition to a cloudy, windy, rainstorm which can make it hard to navigate.
- Have a backup captain on the boat: In the event of an emergency, you have someone else on the boat who can assist in getting you back to shore.
- Plan a route in advance: Knowing where you are going not only makes for easy navigation but can help you avoid running aground or into trouble.
- Daytime/ Nighttime Flares
- First Aid Kit
- Fully charged cell phone
- Sunscreen with a high level of SPF
- Lightweight long sleeve shirts
- Ball caps or wide brimmed hats
- Polarized sunglasses
- Insect Repellent
- Snacks and Beverages (lots of water, stay hydrated)
- Hand sanitizer/ wet wipes
We hope you enjoy your fun in the sun!