Here are a few tips to keep you aware and alert after a storm!
- When complying with post loss policy obligations to mitigate storm damages, ALWAYS contact your adjuster prior to agreeing to any mitigation services including shrink-wrapping your roof. These services may not be necessary or covered by your policy.
- Call the adjuster assigned to the claim prior to signing any contract, especially if the contractor or public adjuster guarantees your insurance will cover the damages.
- The insurance carrier will never send a vendor to complete mitigation or repairs without your knowledge and permission. If a vendor is telling you they were sent by the insurance carrier, immediately call your adjuster prior to allowing the vendor to proceed. The insurance carrier will also never request an Assignment of Benefits (AOB) be signed.
- Beware of any contractor or roofer who promises they can “pay”, “waive”, or “absorb the cost of” your deductible and that you do not have to pay the deductible yourself. This is fraudulent. Contractors who tell you this are essentially paying the deductible for you and are therefore raising the price of work to be completed. This is not only an unethical practice but may also be illegal insurance.
- If you see fraud or if you or someone you know has been the victim of a fraud or scam, Report it! FRAUD hurts all Homeowners!
- South Carolina: Report fraud to the SC Department of Insurance’s Consumer Services Office by calling 888-953-7283 or clicking by here.
- North Carolina: Report fraud to the NC Department of Insurance by calling 919-807-6840 or 888-680-7684 (NC only) or by clicking here.
- Georgia: Report fraud to the GA Office of the Commissioner of Insurance by calling 404-656-2060 or by clicking here.